Adam Grant is an organizational psychologist, the New York Times bestselling author of Give and Take, Originals, and Option B, co-written with Sheryl Sandberg, COO at Facebook. Adam has also been the top-rated professor at Wharton six years in a row. In this episode Adam tells us how one of the best ways for aspiring influencers to gain traction is to build relationships with existing influencers in their space while maintaining a giving mindset.
Listen to this episode on iTunes
What was your biggest insight from this week’s episode? Let us know in the comments or on Twitter @influencer_inc.
IN TODAY’S EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
An influencer is someone who has influence over others’ thoughts and actions.
Part of Give and Take’s success was likely due to a profile of Adam’s work in the New York Times magazine by Susan Dominus, who was a friend of a friend of a colleague, who was looking to interview a social psychologist.
He has also coauthored a book with Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg, Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy.
Adam includes graduate students in his research.
Tips on Giving:
- Everyone has something to give. Reach out and offer to give feedback on a favorite influencer’s or author’s next project.
- Think about how you could support the thought dissemination of an influencer’s ideas.
- Engage thoughtfully with their work.
- Book: The Power of Moments by Chip and Dan Heath
- Influencer: Susan Cain, Dan Pink
- Conference, group, or event: Work Human Conference
- Preferred social network: Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Tool that you can’t live without: laptop
LINKS FROM TODAY’S EPISODE
- Find Adam at his website AdamGrant.net